Many people overlook the importance of cleaning their home’s exterior when it comes to spring cleaning, choosing to focus instead on its interior.
While that’s absolutely fine, regularly maintaining your home’s exterior can not only enhance its overall look, but it can also give you the chance to regularly inspect your garage door to ensure everything is working correctly.
If you are looking to keep on top of your garage door’s maintenance and functionality, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we have compiled some top tips on how to give your garage door a thorough spring clean.
Step One: Preparation
As with any cleaning task, preparation is absolutely imperative before you get going with it. Ask yourself, for instance: do I have all the necessary equipment ready and available?
If you’re not sure what you need to use, we have highlighted this for you below:
- A Bucket or Washing Up Bowl
- A Hose
- Some Soap or Detergent
- An Old Cloth or Sponge
Step Two: Cleaning The Exterior
Completing the cleaning process below will not only help extend your garage door’s usability, but it’ll also prevent the development of corrosion on its surface. Here’s what you need to do:
- Spray the surface of the garage door with your hose.
- Gently wipe the door using an old cloth soaked in warm soapy water.
- Using the hose again, lightly spray the door to rinse off any excess soapy water.
- Allow the door to dry.
- If stubborn marks remain after this process, such as grease or oil stains, try using a diluted bleach instead of soap when wiping the surface.
- If you have a metal garage door, we would recommend applying a layer of specialist wax at this stage. This will both keep the door in good condition and protect the finish of the metal.
- If you have a painted garage door, keep an eye out for any paint flaking or warping on the surface. If you notice this happening, this could be a potential sign of rust, meaning your door may need repainting to prevent corrosion.
Step Three: Cleaning The Interior
Using the cleaning method and equipment mentioned above, remove any dirt or grime you can see on the interior of your garage door. One of the key areas to look out for here is the tracks the door uses to operate. Remove any dirt or debris you find here to prevent potential problems occurring in the future.
While it may be true that no one will be able to see the inside of your garage door from outside the property, keeping it well-maintained will help improve its overall durability.
If you identify any damage when cleaning your garage door, it’s important to deal with it as efficiently as possible. Here at Wessex Garage Doors, our team offer a comprehensive repair service to keep your garage door as safe and functional to use as possible. Contact us today to discuss any questions or queries you might have.