While insulated garage doors may appear the same from the outside, internally they offer a host of additional benefits for property owners. This style of garage door is boarded on both sides which enables a layer of insulation to be sandwiched between the two side of the door for warmth and stability.
Insulated garage doors offer unbeatable security, strength and durability. There are various styles of insulated doors to choose from, each with unique features and visual appeal to enhance your home, so you don’t need to compromise on aesthetics.
With a core thickness of up to 45mm for optimal efficiency, insulated garage doors provide a warm, dry environment year-round, and also offer a host of benefits in terms of soundproofing and weather-resistance.
What are the benefits of insulated garage doors?
Investing in an insulated garage door brings many advantages for your home. Quality insulation provides the following key benefits:
- Improved energy efficiency: Insulated doors prevent heat loss in winter and keep your garage cooler in summer. This regulates the temperature, so you maintain a comfortable environment all year round and lower your heating bills.
- Noise reduction: The insulation absorbs external noise as well as internal sound from music or mechanics. This creates a quieter space and reduces noise transfer to other rooms.
- Added strength: Insulated doors are more resistant to dents, damages and weathering. The materials are durable for enhanced longevity.
- Practical usage: Insulated garages can be up to 20 degrees warmer than external temperatures in winter. Noise is also reduced by up to 16 decibels compared to uninsulated doors.
- Kerb appeal: More insulated door styles, colours and materials to choose from to match your home’s exterior.
Quality insulation offers all-around benefits. Investing in an insulated garage door is a smart way to enhance utility, comfort and efficiency in your home
A range of door styles to choose from
A lot of heat loss can occur with single-skinned doors, particularly if they are made from thinner materials or have no sealing to the sides or bottom of the door. Whether you have a roller door, sectional or automated garage door, the added benefits of insulation can elevate your garage space for greater security and comfort.
Sectional doors, by their very nature, are durable and highly secure but they also are perfectly suited to insulation. Double-skinned steel sections can be filled with a foam core for a hardwearing and thermally efficient garage door. Vertical roller doors are similar, with built-in weather seals, but because each slat pivots to the next in order for the door to operate, the U-value will naturally be compromised in comparison to a sectional door.
There are various types of mechanisms and materials for garage doors with medium to high levels of insulation, depending on your requirements, including steel, aluminium and timber, for a door that looks great and delivers higher levels of security.
For many homeowners, the garage is an extension of their home, serving as much more than simply a storage space. By choosing to insulate your garage, you can maximise this area even further and ensure that the space you have available is secure, weather-tight and comfortable.
If you use your garage space for more than just storing your vehicle, or you’d like to convert your garage for an alternative use, such as for a home office, a gym, a play room or a workshop, having insulation creates a much more comfortable environment year-round, whatever the weather has in store.
Choosing a new garage door?
- Explore our range of leading garage door manufacturers. We'll help you to choose the right door for your home.
What forms of insulation are available?
Depending on the model or manufacturer you choose, you’ll find several options when it comes to insulating a garage door.
- Fibreglass Batt Insulation: Fibreglass batts are a classic insulation material made of spun glass fibres. The batts are available in different thicknesses to fit between garage door panels. Fibreglass provides good acoustic dampening and thermal resistance at an affordable price. However, it can sag over time.
- Rigid Foam Insulation: Rigid foam boards made of polystyrene or polyurethane are another common choice. The foam panels are lightweight yet add structural rigidity. Foam insulation offers excellent noise blocking and energy efficiency with minimal thickness, but the boards must be properly sealed in the door to prevent moisture issues.
- Spray Foam Insulation: Spray polyurethane foam is a highly effective insulation, though more expensive. The liquid foam expands and hardens to create a seamless air seal extremely resistant to heat transfer and sound transmission. Professional installation is recommended when using spray foam.
- Cellulose Insulation: Cellulose is a fibrous material made from recycled materials like paper and wood. As loose-fill insulation blown into wall cavities, cellulose has good thermal performance and acoustic damping. However, moisture can compact cellulose over time so make sure proper moisture barriers are in place to prevent this.
When choosing insulation for your garage door, consider factors like efficiency, cost, ease of installation and any potential drawbacks. can recommend the right type for your needs and climate.
What does the U-Value of a door mean?
When researching insulated garage doors, you’ll come across an important specification called the U-value. This measures the rate of heat transfer through the door and indicates how well the door insulates against energy loss. The lower the U-value, the better the insulating performance. Most standard garage doors have U-values between 0.5-1. A higher U-value means faster heat transfer and more energy loss. Insulated doors should have U-values of 0.3 or less.
The best insulated garage doors use advanced materials and construction to achieve U-values as low as 0.15. This extremely low rate of heat conduction keeps your garage consistently comfortable in any season. Checking the U-value is the best way to compare the real insulating power of different garage doors. Always look for the lowest U-values when shopping for an insulated garage door to ensure maximum savings on your energy bills.
Get A Free Online Quote
New Garage Doors
Excellent, very efficient and answered any questions so I fully understood the answer. Very pleasant operator.
The workmen were polite and quickly did the job, tidied up after them and took the old door away. Before they left they gave a demonstration of how the door operated.
I contacted Wessex Garage Doors following a referral by a neighbour. Their product knowledge, pricing and installation was first class. I am so pleased with my new electric garage doors!
We were very pleased with the efficient and friendly way our order was handled, the door arrived on time. We are very pleased with the appeared and working of the door.
Leading Manufacturers of Insulated Garage Doors
At Wessex Garage Doors, we install insulated garage doors from a wide range of leading manufacturers, including Hormann, Garador and CarTeck, who offer the very best in high-quality insulated doors. Combined with our skilled team of experienced fitters, you can be sure that the door you choose will stand the test of time.
Using state of the art materials for enhanced security and durability, upgrading to an insulated door provides excellent results for your property that will benefit you for years to come.
Talk to our team today for more information about how switching to an insulated garage door can benefit your home. You can call us directly on 01737 309103 or email us at email@example.com, and we’ll respond as soon as possible.
How long are your garage doors guaranteed for?
At Wessex Garage Doors we have complete confidence in the doors we provide and install, so we offer a one year installation warranty from the date of install in addition to the manufacturers’ terms and conditions. For more details please do not hesitate to get in contact with a member of staff who will be happy to provide you with any information you need.
How secure are your garage doors?
All of the garage doors that we offer come with a multi-point locking system as standard to ensure the highest levels of personal security for your home. If you would like more information about garage door security we would be happy to talk it through with you.
Are you able to repair garage doors?
If your garage door is in need of repairs, our team of experts and fully trained engineers can help you. We can arrange for a site visit to take a look at your garage door to establish the nature of the problem and then provide you with a full quote to get the issue sorted. Please get in contact with us to arrange a visit.
Do your garage door engineers operate near me?
Our engineers work throughout Sussex, Surrey, Kent and surrounding areas, for further details on the areas we cover please click here.
Will you price match against competitors?
We will always endeavour to provide you with the best possible price to have a garage door installed. Our value for money is second to none, so if you have been offered a better price on a ‘like for like’ product elsewhere please get in contact with us and we will be able to get you a better deal.
How much does installation cost?
Our prices for a standard installation start from £150, while electric garage doors and other more complicated installations may incur a higher fee of up to around £250. If you want us to carry out the installation please let us know and we will arrange a free site survey so that we can provide you with an accurate quotation for the work.
We Supply and Install Garage Doors at Market Leading Prices
We offer a wide selection of roller garage doors available in a range of different styles and finishes. Whatever the look you are after, we have a bespoke design to suit.
- Price Promise Guarantee
- Free 12 Month Warranty On All Doors
- 100’s Of Doors To Choose From